Butterflyfest Facebook Photo Challenge
This year the Florida Museum will host its FIRST ButterflyFest Facebook Photo Challenge! The challenge is designed to educate and promote awareness of water and wildlife through photography.
Deadline: Sept. 30, 2013
Who can enter: Anyone, at any age! This is an international contest open to amateur photographers.
Theme: “Water and Wildlife” (must incorporate both themes in the entry photo.)
Image criteria: Depiction of water and wildlife together in a natural setting, clarity, focus and attractiveness of image.
Judging: The Florida Museum photography department will select the top 10 images from all entries received by the deadline that meet the challenge criteria and requirements. The Museum will post these images on its Facebook page Oct. 7, and the public will select the overall winner online via the most ‘likes.’
Prize: Gift basket, including Museum merchandise and eight Butterfly Rainforest tickets. The winning photograph will be published in The Gainesville Sun, featured on the ButterflyFest website and displayed at the Florida Museum of Natural History through Dec. 1, 2013.
Submit to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the following subject line: ButterflyFest FB Photo Entry
- Only one photo per entrant will be accepted.
- Save image as a .jpg
- Name .jpg file as entrant’s initials and date the image was taken.
Example: kg081513.jpg (kg for Kristen Grace, 081513 for August 15, 2013)
- Apply only minor post-production adjustments. Please do not resize image.
Example: cropping, color correction and minor image sharpening are acceptable. Images with heavy manipulation such as changing the content of the image or combining multiple images will be disqualified. The decision of the judges is final.
- Entry must include some aspect of water and wildlife TOGETHER in the image.
- Only email entries will be accepted. Please do not send hard copies (prints). In email, include entrant’s full name and home/cell phone number.
- Late submissions will not be accepted.
- By submitting a photo, the entrant authorizes the Florida Museum of Natural History to utilize the image for promotional purposes in print, broadcast and online outlets, including use on social media sites.
- By submitting a photo, the entrant agrees to all contest rules and requirements, and attests that the photograph is the entrant’s own work and that the entrant owns all copyrights associated with it.
For more information or questions, email email@example.com
Tips for a strong image:
- Ensure the image is sharp and in focus.
- Fill the frame of the image with the relevant subject matter.
- Be mindful of the background and that it is not too distracting.
- Try a unique angle.
- Pay attention to lighting and ensure the image is properly exposed.