Inquiry Box: Florida's Butterflies & Moths
Suitable for: All ages but geared to K-4th grade
- Learn about the life cycle of butterflies and moths.
- Learn how butterflies and moths are similar and different.
- Examine actual moths and butterflies found in Florida and discuss sizes, colors, and body parts.
- Gain a better understanding of how important camouflage and adaptation methods are for survival.
- Understand that Lepidoptera have scales covering their wings.
- Experience how Lepidoptera see with their compound eyes.
The Florida's Butterflies and Moths Inquiry Box (a large plum duffle bag) contains books (both fiction and nonfiction), a video, word cards, laminated teaching aids and a teacher's guide (including a suggested approach sheet). This Inquiry Box features 14 shared boxes, each designed to be explored by 1-3 students.
Each shared box contains:
- One clear plastic box containing 1 of 4 Florida butterflies
- One box containing 1 of 3 Florida moths
- Packet of cards for identifying the above (Within the 14 boxes, there are 7 different Florida moths and butterflies.)
- 2 magnifying glasses
- 2 eyepiece teleidoscopes
- Packet of plastic life cycle parts
- Butterfly finger puppet
This Inquiry Box was designed using the Sunshine State Standards and is intended to enhance FCAT preparation.
Educators' Guide & Recommended Reading
Butterflies & Moths
Teacher's Guide & Classroom Activities (grades K-12)