Encourage your child's curiosity and wonder in the ever-changing hands-on Discovery Room! Preserved specimens from Museum collections and a variety of science resources provide many opportunities for families to learn about the world together.
Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Please limit group sizes to 5 children per adult. Adults are responsible for ensuring the children in their care explore the Discovery Room in a safe and respectful manner. We appreciate your help in keeping the exhibit tidy for the next visitors!
- Discovery Drawers and Bins
Open the drawers to see objects from our collections including manatee bones, eggs, shells and butterflies. For hands on exploration, check out our bins.
- Wind Tunnel
Explore how different objects move in the wind! Test out your ideas about what determines whether an object will move in the wind or not.
- Animal Mounts
Get an up close look at Florida birds and mammals displayed in our object cases.
- Forest Habitat
Designed with our younger visitors in mind, this exhibit element has a gentle slope and short stairs for early walkers.
- Reading Area
Settle into our comfortable chairs and enjoy our quality collection of picture books and reference materials with your curious learner.
- Building Corner
Explore balance, motion and gravity with our sets of blocks and gears.
Did you know?
- During the first years of life, children build basic concepts about the physical and natural worlds that form the foundation for later science understanding.
- Young children who talk about science with their families develop larger, more sophisticated vocabularies. This, in turn, helps with reading comprehension in later elementary school and beyond.
- Encouraging children to pursue their early interest in science can promote positive attitudes toward learning and dispositions such as curiosity, persistence in solving problems, and motivation to learn more.
- Early Childhood Curriculum - Marvelous Explorations Through Science and Stories: MESS®
- Head Start Guide to the Discovering Science Webcast
We thank our sponsors!
- Charles H. and Wanda Denny, III
- Francis Miranda Childress Foundation, Inc.
- Florida Museum Associates Board
- Children's Museum of the South