Sawfish Implementation Team
- 1991 - Smalltooth and largetooth sawfish added to the species candidate list.
- 1997 - Removed from candidate species list.
- 1999 - June 23rd, placed back on candidate species list.
1999 - Nov 30th, Center for Marine Conservation (Ocean Conservancy) petitioned
to list the North American populations of smalltooth and largetooth sawfish as endangered.
- 2000 - Mar 10th, NMFS determined that the petition presented substantial information
indicated that the listing was warranted for smalltooth not largetooth.
- 2000 - Mar 10th, concurrently, NMFS initiated the smalltooth sawfish status review.
- 2000 - Dec, status review completed.
- 2001 - Apr 16th, NMFS proposed to list the distinct population segment (DPS) of smalltooth
sawfish in the U.S. as endangered.
- 2003 - Apr 1st, Final rule: DPS of smalltooth sawfish in the U.S. listed as endangered.
- 2008 - Nov 20th,
Federal Register Notice For Smalltooth Sawfish Proposed Critical Habitat
- 2009 - Jan 13th,
Final Version of Smalltooth Sawfish Recovery Plan (NMFS/NOAA)
- 2009 - July 29th,
Listing Endangered and Threatened Species and Designating Critical Habitat: Notice of Finding on a Petition
To List the Largetooth Sawfish (Pristis perotteti) as an Endangered or Threatened Species Under the
Endangered Species Act
- 2010 - May 7th,
Endangered and Threatened Wildlife and Plants; Proposed Listing for the Largetooth Sawfish
- 2011 - July 12th,
Endangered and Threatened Wildlife
and Plants; Endangered Status for the