- Contact Information (address, phone, fax, email)
- Staff (also see our Staff, Student and Associate Directory)
- Description of the Collection Holdings
- Loan Policies
- Destructive Analysis Policy Statement and Agreement
The algal collection of the University of Florida Herbarium (FLAS) is located at 379 Dickinson Hall in the Florida Museum of Natural History on the UF campus. Room 379 is in the west wing of the street level of Dickinson Hall on Museum Road, just west of Newell Drive. The on line UF campus map may help you locate Dickinson Hall on the University of Florida campus.
Monday - Friday 9am - 12 noon; 1 pm to 5 pm, except for holidays and subject to staff availability.
This collection is available for consulation by researchers only by appointment. Please contact the Collection Manager to arrange for consultation of specimens prior to your visit.
|CONTACT INFORMATION||(also see our complete Staff, Student and Associate Directory)|
For inquiries and official correspondence, contact: Kent D. Perkins Manager of the Collection University of Florida Herbarium (FLAS) Florida Museum of Natural History 379 Dickinson Hall PO Box 110575 Gainesville, FL 32611-0575 USA Telephone: (352) 273-1990 FAX: (352) 846-2016 EMail: herb@[no spam]flmnh.ufl.edu
|STAFF||(also see our complete Staff, Student and Associate Directory)|
Manager of the Collection:
|THE ALGAL COLLECTION|
The University of Florida Algal Collection contains approximately 3,460 specimens. The overwhelming majority are macroalgae from the United States and adjacent international waters. The collection includes specimens accumulated at FLAS over many decades and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission collection (STPE, aka Marine Research Lab, St. Petersburg, Florida) acquired in 2010.
Important collections include:
- Crystal River, Florida, material collected for a study related to the potential ecological impact of the Crystal River power plant.
- The Hourglass Cruises, material collected as part of a survey of the continental shelf of the Gulf of Mexico by the Marine Research Lab of the Florida Board of Conservation.
A comprensive description of the collection was prepared by Carol Ann McCormick, et al., University of North Carolina, in 2015 in connection with the imaging and databasing of the collection for FLAS by UNC:
- McCormick, Carol Ann, Robert Kevan Schoonover, William Marinello, and Liane Salgado. 2015. University of Florida Herbarium (FLAS): Macroalgae Collection: an Overview. Published by the author, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC. 18 p..
Collection Database - Our algal collection is cataloged in the Macroalgal Herbarium Portal. This work was done by Carol Ann McCormick and staff at the University of North Carolina Herbarium with support by a grant from the National Science Foundation.
- Macroalgal Herbarium Portal - search page for FLAS collections.