- Contact Information (address, phone, fax, email)
- Staff (also see our Staff, Student and Associate Directory)
- Description of the Collection Holdings
- Seed Collection (protocols)
- Herbarium Library
- Molecular Systematics Laboratory
- Loan Policies
- Destructive Analysis Policy Statement and Agreement
The vascular plant collection of the University of Florida Herbarium (FLAS) is located at 379 Dickinson Hall in the Florida Museum of Natural History on the UF campus. Room 379 is in the west wing of the street level of Dickinson Hall on Museum Road, just west of Newell Drive. The on line UF campus map may help you locate Dickinson Hall on the University of Florida campus.
Monday - Friday 9am - 12 noon; 1 pm to 5 pm, except for holidays and subject to staff availability.
Please contact the Collection Manager or Keeper to arrange for consultation of specimens prior to your visit.
|CONTACT INFORMATION||(also see our complete Staff, Student and Associate Directory)|
For inquiries and official correspondence, contact: Dr. Norris H. Williams, Keeper -or- Kent D. Perkins, Manager of the Collection, at: University of Florida Herbarium (FLAS) Florida Museum of Natural History 379 Dickinson Hall PO Box 110575 Gainesville, FL 32611-0575 USA Telephone: (352) 273-1990 FAX: (352) 846-2016 EMail: herb@[no spam]flmnh.ufl.edu
|STAFF||(also see our complete Staff, Student and Associate Directory)|
Manager of the Collection:
Left to right: Robert Dressler, Norris Williams, Mark Whitten|
(photo by Lotte Skov)
|THE VASCULAR PLANT COLLECTION|
The history of the collection may be traced to 1891 when Peter H. Rolfs established the Herbarium of Florida Agricultural College. There are currently approximately 250,000 accessioned sheets of vascular plants with an excellent representation of the vascular flora of Florida,the southeastern United States coastal plain, and Haiti. The collection is rich in historical material dating back into the mid-19th century.
Important collections include:
- J. Richard Abbott (New World, esp. Florida, 1990's to present)
- A.W. Chapman (Florida, 1840's-1860's)
- A.H. Curtiss (Florida, 1890's)
- A. Cuthbert (Georgia and Florida, 1890's-1910's)
- R.L. Dressler (Neotropical Orchidaceae, 1970's to present)
- A.P. Garber (Florida, 1870's)
- A.K. Gholson (Florida and Georgia, 1970's to present)
- R.K. Godfrey (Southeastern U.S., esp. Florida, 1950's to present)
- S.C. Hood (Florida, 1900's-1910's; United States, 1940's-1950's)
- H.H. Hume (Florida, 1930's-1950's)
- W.S. Judd (Florida, 1970's to present; West Indies (esp. the Dominican Republic and Haiti), 1980's to present)
- W.A. Murrill (Florida, 1930's-1950's)
- P.H. Rolfs (Florida, 1890's)
- F. Rugel (Florida, 1840's)
- E.P. & R.P. St. John (Florida ferns, 1930's-1940's)
- J.K. Small (Florida, 1910's-1930's)
- D.B. Ward (Florida, 1950's-1970's)
- E. West (Florida, 1930's-1950's)
|COLLECTION CATALOG AND ORGANIZATION|
The University of Florida Herbarium Collections Catalog contains information on 79,652 specimen accessions (of ca. 450,000); last update: 28 October 2014. Researchers should be aware that the collection catalog includes data for only about 25% of our holdings. For an overview of our complete holdings, please consult our cabinet door lists document, a lengthy PDF. This print-out is the basis for the lists posted on each cabinet with the contents to genus and/or species level.
The vascular plant collection is arranged "phylogenetically" by a modified Dalla Torre and Harms numbering system which is based on the Engler and Prantl classification system. This system is outlined in Dalla Torre and Harms (1908). The family numbering codes we use are in our own family list PDFS (alphabetical, numerical). We are in the process of converting the family delineation to a modern classification based on the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group classification. Documents explaining the details of the arrangement are provided to users during the collection orientiation.
- Dalla Torre, C. G. de et H. Harms. Register zu de Dalla Torre et Harms: Genera Siphonogamarum ad Systema Englerianum Conscripta. W. Engelmann, Leipzig [Germany]. 1908. Facsimile reprint by Verlag von H. R. Engelmann (J. Cramer), Weinheim [Germany]. 1958. 568 pp. 28 cm.