- A centralized location for a vast scope of phylogenetic information.
Tree of Life
- A searchable, clickable cladogram with information about every
form of life on earth.
Melastomataceae.net - This is a portal into the GBIF, and other, taxonomic databases
PBI Miconieae - A National Science Foundation, Planetary Biodiversity Inventory project that aims to produce a complete taxonomic inventory and description of the tribe Miconieae.
Herbaria & Collections
- Search the Smithsonian (US) collection of nearly 2000 melastome
- Search the entire collection at the New York Botanical Garden
- Type specimens at the New York Botanical Garden (NY).
- Type and general specimens at the Harvard University Herbaria
- Type specimens at the University of Florida herbarium (FLAS).
the Museum National d'Histoire Naturelle (P).
- A directory of genera, species, and collection label data for
Melastomataceae in the collection at the Instituto Nacional de
Biodiversidad (INBio), Costa Rica.
- An excellent set of illustrations from the Smithsonian Institution.
NCBI - Search GenBank
for DNA sequences of melastomes.
- Index to Plant Chromosome Numbers.
- This is a complete list of synonyms at the suprageneric
- A list of all currently accepted genera (with synonyms).
IPNI - The ultimate in plant
names and bibliographic references.
Databases - This is an important resource for conducting
Brahms - This is an excellent
database that anyone may use for botanical investigations or collections
and Tetrazygia in Florida - Info and images from the Atlas
of Vascular Plants of Florida
French Guiana - A collections database of Melastomataceae
Brazil - This collections database is part of a NYBG floristics
and economic botany project.
- A collection of images of melastomes from Tropicos; many are
Flora of Thailand
- Information specifically pertaining to that project, the vegetation,
and botanical investigations in Thailand.
plants - Search the World Conservation Monitoring Center (part
of the IUCN) for threatened species.
Darwin - Did you know that even Darwin himself was driven
nearly to madness by melastomes? Go to this page, hit ctrl + f
and type 'mela' in the find box to get to the right paragraph