February 28th, 2014
By Gitzendanner, Matt
One of our Chinese visiting scientists made this as a lab treat. This is the first post of lab recipes, but we hope it won’t be the last, as we have quite a diversity of visitors to the lab, and they often tempt us with delicious treats.
Fried Rice with Egg
Fried Rice with Egg is prepared according this recipe, can serve 4-5 persons as a side dish.
3 cups leftover cooked rice:
~ 200 g, 7 ounces dry weight before cooking; actually it’s not necessary leftover, you can cook the rice first and then put it in freezer refrigeration for a while until the rice complete cold and fry out, the grains are not sticky;
2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil;
2 tablespoons vegetable oil;
100 grams/4 ounces frozen peas (defrosted);
2 spring onions (green onions) finely chopped;
100 grams/4 ounces corn kernels (optional);
1 to 2 teaspoons soy sauce (or half teaspoon of salt);
Ground white pepper, to taste
Feel free to add extras ingredients depend on your personal flavor:
Carrots, cucumber, celery, green bell pepper, corn kernels, a seafood (such as cooked shrimp), mushrooms, meat, sausage, ham, etc.
Dice the carrots and bell pepper; cut the mushrooms, meat, sausage, and ham into slices (or chopped).
1. Beat the egg in a small bowl, then dived the egg juice into half and half. Put one half into the cold dry rice and string until even. Join the rest half egg with sesame oil, and beat to even.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan. When the oil is shimmering and almost smoking add the rice and stir-fry for 3 to 4 minutes, until completely heated through.
3. Add the peas and spring onion, corn kernels or other optional ingredients. Stir-fry for about 3 minutes, turning the rice constantly.
4. Season well with soy sauce and pepper, then push to one side of the pan.
5. Pour the beaten egg on the other side of the pan and leave for about 10 seconds to set.
6. Using a chopstick, stir around the egg to break it up and then toss around with the rice.
7. Stir-fry for a further minute and serve.
Last, if you don’t like it, feed the dogs and cats… Miao….