(Florida's only endemic bird species)
Photo courtesy of Erika Simons
Photos of birds at Newnan's Lake (Alachua Co.), January - June, 2000, by Andrew Kratter.
Presented here is a photographic guide to many of the birds of the Southeastern U.S. The geographic area covered by this guide includes the following states: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and the southeastern part of Texas. The Photo Gallery of Southeastern U. S. Birds predominantly features photographs by arbovirologist - photographer Dr. Dan Sudia. Dr. Sudia's copyrighted photographs may be used free for educational and personal use, any other use may be arranged with him. Persons wishing to use photographs not identified as Dr. Sudia's should contact the FLMNH webmaster. The Gallery photographs initially were made available by the University of Georgia Museum of Natural History. Photographers wishing to exhibit their material aboard this venue should contact the FLMNH webmaster.
The images at this site are arranged systematically. The taxonomy and scientific names presented here are based on the American Ornithologists' Union (AOU) 1983 check-list of North American Birds and subsequent supplements. Each page in the series has several small in-line images (120 x 160 GIF). The in-line images are linked to full-screen images (480 x 640 JPEG). If you know what you are looking for you can jump to either the beginning of that group from the list below, or by using the alphabetical index which links directly to the larger images.If you are interested in bird sounds, see our bird sounds page. If you are interested in more information about birds, see our ornithology references page.
- Podicipediformes - Grebes
- Pelecaniformes - Pelicans, Anhingas and Cormorants
- Anseriformes - Ducks and Geese
- Phoenicopteriformes - Flamingos
- Ciconiiformes - Herons and Storks
- Falconiformes - Falcons, Hawks, Eagles, Osprey and Vultures
- Galliformes - Turkeys, Quail, Pheasant, and Bobwhite
- Gruiformes - Cranes, Rails, Limpkins, Gallinule and Coots
- Charadriiformes - Shorebirds, Gulls and relatives
- Columbiformes - Pigeons and Doves
- Cuculiformes - Cuckoos and Ani
- Strigiformes - Owls
- Caprimulgiformes - Nightjars, Goatsuckers and Nighthawks
- Apodiformes - Swifts and Hummingbirds
- Coraciiformes - Rollers, Kingfishers and relatives
- Piciformes - Woodpeckers, Toucans and relatives
- Passeriformes - Perching Birds
Index | Start Photo Pages > >