Boots on the Ground: Internships in Panama, 2013 - 2014
Geology and Paleontology of the Panama Canal
Spring 2014: January 13 - May 9 (4 months)
Deadline to apply: October 15, 2013
Summer 2014: May 12 - August 15 (3 months)
Deadline to apply: March 1, 2014
Fall 2014: August 17 - December 19 (4 months)
Deadline to apply: June 1, 2014
NSF-funded internships are available effective immediately for the Panama Canal Project (PCP)-PIRE (NSF-funded Partnership for International Research and Education) for United States citizens or permanent residents undergraduate or post-bac students to assist with collecting fossils and other fieldwork in the exposures along the Panama Canal (Panama).
Interns will live in Panama for a minimum of 4 months during Spring and Fall, and 3 months during Summer conducting fieldwork under the supervision of PIRE PIs and Postdoctoral Fellows at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (STRI) in Panama City. Experience in Geological/Paleontological fieldwork and some level of bi-lingual (English/Spanish) competency is preferred.
This internship provides an excellent opportunity for students who might be considering taking a semester off between their studies to gain valuable research and international experiences.
PCP-PIRE is a U.S.-Panamanian partnership to document the ancient marine and terrestrial biodiversity and global climate change of the New World Tropics (NWT) preserved in the 25- million-year fossiliferous sequence in Panama, and promote international education, collaboration, and exchange. Research foci include the magnitude and timing of diversity change in the NWT; the biogeographic origins, relationships, and dispersal history of the Central American fauna and flora; antiquity of the rainforest; effects of global climate change on tropical biodiversity through time; and other fundamental questions related to the emergence of the Isthmus of Panama and its past on biodiversity.
PCP-PIRE is committed to diversity in education and encourages the application of women and underrepresented minorities.
PCP-PIRE internships include:
- $1,000 monthly stipend.
- Dorm style housing in Panama.
- Relocation to/from Panama.
- Travel to Panamanian field sites.
- Answer the following questions and submit via email in PDF format.
- Letters of recommendation should also be submitted via email in PDF format, and must come directly from the person who is recommending you.
- Please do not send any of the above documents as a hard copy (only email).
- All documents should be sent to: Claudia Grant: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tip: copy and paste these questions into a Word document. When you are done with your answers, save as PDF.
- Circle the term you are applying to:
Please choose only one. We go through the selection process on a semester basis. If not selected, you are welcome to re-apply for the upcoming semester.
- Fall 2013: August 21 - December 20 (4 months)
- Spring 2014: January 13 - May 9 (4 months)
- Summer 2014: May 12 - August 15 (3 months)
- Fall 2014: August 17 - December 19 (4 months)
- Advanced (fluent)
- Advanced (fluent)