Florida Museum of Natural History
Home
About Us
Contact Us
Site Map
Photo Gallery
News
Calusa Heritage Trail
Learn
Friends of the RRC
Online Resources
Book Store
Volunteers
Events
Links
Parlor Chat: Pineland 1700 - 1900s
10/9/2012
Location: Ruby Gill House, 3450 Pineland Road, Pineland

In 1895 and 1896, Smithsonian archaeologist Frank Hamilton Cushing visited Pineland and surveyed the remains of the Calusa town. Cushing's findings plus a discussion of Pineland people and their lifestyles in the late 19th and early 20th century will be the focus of this chat to be led by Dr. Bill Marquardt, Director of the Randell Research Center. The Pineland place name was first established on September 6, 1902, when Minta Martin became the first Pineland postmaster. Thus, Pineland is 110 years old. This chat is one in a series commemorating the anniversary.

Refreshments and door prizes will be provided. $5 admission for nonmembers, free for members of Randell Research Center and the Museum of the Islands. Please call 239-283-2062 to reserve your space.

Become a member now at the Family level to be eligible for the Pineland Prize Package which includes a night stay at the Tarpon Lodge, a free boat launch and parking at the Pineland Marina, and a gift certificate for the store at the Calusa Heritage Trail.

 

Contact the Webmaster