News & Events
Calusa Heritage Day
March 25, 2017
Calusa Heritage Day will be back on Saturday, March 25, 2017 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The event will include the first public tours on the parcel that contains the Smith (burial) mound.
Smith Mound / Low Mound Tours: 10:30, 10:45, 11:00, 11:15, 11:30, 12:00, 12:30, 1:00, 1:30, 2:00, 2:30, 3:00, 3:30
• Harbor History boat tours with Captiva Cruises and Denége Patterson are scheduled at 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. The fee for these tours is $35 per adult and $25 per child under 12, in addition to the festival entry fee. Make your reservation now by calling Captiva Cruises: (239) 472-5300.
• Speaker’s tent:
10:15 am Opening music by Grammy Award winner Kat Epple
10:30 am Dr. Torben Rick (Smithsonian Institution) "Archaeology and the Future of our Planet"
11:15 am Musical interlude by Grammy Award winner Kat Epple
11:30 am Ms. Rachael Kangas (Florida Public Archaeology Network) "Tidally United Citizen Science: The Heritage Monitoring Scouts Florida Program"
12:15 pm Musical interlude by Grammy Award winner Kat Epple
12:30 pm Dr. William Marquardt (Randell Research Center, Florida Museum of Natural History) "The Calusa and Their Legacy: What have we learned LATELY?"
1:15 pm Musical interlude by Grammy Award winner Kat Epple
1:30 pm Mr. Merald Clark (Artist and Anthropologist) "The Talking Dead: Imagining Lost Worlds"
2:15 pm Musical interlude by Grammy Award winner Kat Epple
2:30 pm Dr. Torben Rick (Smithsonian Institution) "Archaeology and the Future of our Planet"
• Historic preservation, conservation, and other organizations will be on hand to share information.
• Calusa Tastings: Sample shellfish and fruit enjoyed by the Calusa at Pineland over 1,000 years ago.
• Local replicators will help you learn how to twine, make baskets, and more.
• Children will enjoy Calusa-inspired crafts.
• Artists Peter Sotong, Felix Rodríguez, and Marty Haythorn will have their works for sale.
• Classroom displays will feature findings from recent archaeological investigations.
• Food will be available from Little Lilly’s Island Deli and The Perfect Cup.
• Free water will be available. Please bring a refillable water bottle.
• Admission is $5 per person, and free for RRC members and children ages 11 and under.
• It takes place on the grounds of the Calusa Heritage Trail at 13810 Waterfront Drive, Pineland, with parking on-site. Please consider carpooling with your friends, family, and neighbors.
• For more information, call 239-283-2062.