ButterflyFest Facebook Photo Challenge
The Florida Museum will host the third annual ButterflyFest Facebook Photo Challenge! The challenge is designed to educate and promote awareness of biodiversity and wildlife through photography.
Deadline: Aug. 31, 2015 - 11:59 p.m. EDT
Who can enter: Anyone, at any age! This is an international contest open to amateur photographers.
Theme: 2015 theme coming soon.
Image criteria: Depiction of wildlife and biodiversity in a natural setting, clarity, focus and attractiveness of image.
Judging: The Florida Museum photography department will select the top 10 images from all entries received by the deadline that meet the challenge criteria and requirements. The Museum will post these images on its Facebook page Sept. 7, and the public will select the overall winner online via the most ‘likes.’ In addition, there will be a Judge’s Award given to the judging panel’s favorite image.
Prize: Gift basket, including Museum merchandise and eight Butterfly Rainforest tickets. The winning photograph will be published in The Gainesville Sun, featured on the ButterflyFest website and displayed at the Florida Museum of Natural History through Nov. 1, 2015.
Submit to: email@example.com with the following subject line: ButterflyFest FB Photo Entry
- Only one photo per entrant will be accepted.
- Photo entry must have been taken within the last year. Anything shot before Aug. 1, 2014 will be discarded.
- Save image as a .jpg
- Name .jpg file as entrant’s initials and date the image was taken.
Example: kg081514.jpg (kg for Kristen Grace, 081514 for August 15, 2014)
- Apply only minor post-production adjustments. Please do not resize image.
Example: cropping, color correction and minor image sharpening are acceptable. Images with heavy manipulation such as changing the content of the image or combining multiple images will be disqualified. The decision of the judges is final.
- Entry must include some aspect of wildlife in the image.
- Only email entries will be accepted. Please do not send hard copies (prints). In email, include entrant’s full name and home/cell phone number.
- Late submissions will not be accepted.
- By submitting a photo, the entrant authorizes the Florida Museum of Natural History to utilize the image for promotional purposes in print, broadcast and online outlets, including use on social media sites.
- By submitting a photo, the entrant agrees to all contest rules and requirements, and attests that the photograph is the entrant’s own work and that the entrant owns all copyrights associated with it.
For more information or questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Tips for a strong image:
- Ensure the image is sharp and in focus.
- Fill the frame of the image with the relevant subject matter.
- Be mindful of the background and that it is not too distracting.
- Try a unique angle.
- Pay attention to lighting and ensure the image is properly exposed.