- Herbaria and Herbarium Specimens
Collection Use Protocols and Specimen Handling Guidelines
- Plant Specimen Collecting and Preparation: plant collecting (incl. legal considerations), identification, label preparation, sorting, pest control and fumigation.
Preparation of Plant Specimens for Deposit as Herbarium Vouchers
Florida Plant Collecting : Regulations and Permitting
PLabel: Herbarium Label Program
Best Practices for Collecting Geographic Data in the Field
Collecting techniques for specialty groups such as succulents, palms and bulky specimens.
Plant Specimen Collecting and Pressing Bibliography
- Collection Acquisitions and Set Preparation.
- Plant Mounting and Specimen Preparation.
Plant Mounting Guide (draft)
Making Fragment Packets
- Accessioning and filing.
- Ancillary Collections: spirit, wood, seed, dna, seed bank.
- Upkeep and organization of the collection: organization of families, genera, species; folder making; specimen repair, updating nomenclature, pest control and fumigation.
- Library and Special Collections / Publications Exchange: Ordering and organization, acquisitions and cataloging; illustrations, photographs.
- Exchanges and Gifts: Establishment of exchange program.
Incoming: Count, evaluate, acknowledge, record tally.
Outgoing: Sort, check, count, record tally, pack, ship.
- Loans from:
Receive and evaluate loan request.
Choose specimens to be sent (leave some behind for id use).
Prepare loan papers.
Pack and ship.
Await receipt of acknowledgement.
Keep up with progress of overdue loans.
Unpack and check returned specimens.
- Loans to:
Request (who is using, for what purpose, how long).
Count and acknowledge receipt.
Request extensions when due date is approaching.
Sort, count, pack, prepare forms and return.
- Administrative Structures, Relationships and Activities.
- Ordering Supplies and Equipment:
Equipment items: Bookcases, , File cases, , Microwave oven, Cameras, , Herbarium cases, Plant drier, Chairs, Map cases, Storage cases, Computers, Microscopes, , Typewriters, Desks
Supply items: Boxes, Mounting paper, Chemicals, Office supplies, Genus & species covers, Pamphlet cases, Glue, Photographic supplies, Maps, Printing
Other expenses to consider: Telephone, Xeroxing, Utilities
- Service and Extension Activities.
- Computers, Databases and the Web.
- Reading list (bolded items are major texts):
- Bridson, Diane and Leonard Forman, editors. 1998. The herbarium handbook. 3rd ed. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, Great Britain. xii, 334 p.
- Croat, Thomas B. 1978. Survey of Herbarium Problems. Taxon 27(2/3): 203-218.
- DeWolf, Gordon P., Jr. 1968. Notes on Making an Herbarium. Arnoldia 28: 69-111.
- Fosberg, F. Raymond and Marie-Helene Sachet. 1965. Manual for Tropical Herbaria. Regnum Vegetabile 39. IAPT, Utrecht, Netherlands.
- Lawrence, George H. M. 1958. Field and Herbarium Techniques. Chapter XI (pp. 234-262) in: Taxonomy of Vascular Plants. The MacMillan Co., New York, NY.
Leenhouts, P. W. 1968. A Guide to the Practice of Herbarium Taxonomy. Regnum Vegetabile 58. IAPT, Utrecht, Netherlands. 60 pp.
- Metsger, Deborah A. and Sheila C. Byers, eds. 1999. Managing the modern herbarium : an inter-disciplinary approach. Contribution ... from the Centre for Biodiversity and Conservation Biology of the Royal Ontario Museum, no. 53. Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections, Washington, DC, as a joint project with The Royal Ontario Museum, Centre for Biodiversity and Conservation Biology. xxii, 384 p.
- Nevling, Lorin I., Jr. 1973. Report of the Committee for Recommendations in Desirable Procedures in Herbarium Practice and Ethics. II. Brittonia 25(3): 307-310.
- Shetler, S. G. 1969. The Herbarium: Past, Present, and Future. Proc. Biol. Soc. Wash. 82: 687-758.
- Zycherman, Lynda A., editor, and John Richard Schrock, assistant editor. 1988. A guide to museum pest control. Foundation of the American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works and Association of Systematic Collections, Washington, DC.
- Also see: UF Herbarium library, search for subject "Herbarium Techniques"